Wednesday, March 13, 2013

"Everything Teenage Girls Like is Dumb"

Let's name off a few things that are almost universally mocked:

  • Twilight
  • Justin Bieber
  • One Direction
  • Girly magazines
  • Fashion
  • Malls
  • Predictable romantic comedies
  • Taylor Swift
  • Cheesy novels and television shows about rich kids
What do all these things have in common?

They're all associated with teenage girls.

I don't think that's a coincidence. 

"But Breanna, a lot of those things are problematic and deserve criticism."

It's true that everything on that list has problematic and should be looked at with a critical eye, but do you know what else is problematic? EVERYTHING YOU LOVE.

EVERYTHING.

ALL OF IT.

OWN UP TO IT AND MOVE ON.

But I have not seen anywhere near as much criticism of, say, BBC's Sherlock as I have anything associated with teenage girls. Why is that?

Well, I have a theory.

Did you know that teenage girls are actually really powerful both socially and economically?

Go back to that list I wrote. I bet you're familiar with most, if not all, of the items listed there. I'm sure you can name most of the characters in the Twilight series, list a few songs by Justin Bieber and One Direction, recognize which magazines in the checkout aisle are popular with teen girls, describe a recent fashion trend, name a popular teen store at the mall, describe the plot to several romantic comedies, and identify at least one of Taylor Swift's ex-boyfriends. Why? I have no idea. Somehow teenage girls gained control over what we think is important enough to pay attention to. I think that's amazing. I think the only other group with that much control over what we talk about is politicians, and I'm not even sure about that.

You know exactly who this is because teenage girls are more influential than you.

Teenage girls then spend a lot of money on the things they like. In 2012, teenagers (boys and girls combined) spent $208.7 billion. And lest you think that number is divided equally, the UK's Office for National Statistics show that teenage girls have a huge influence over what their family spends it's money on from food to recreational activities and clothes. Meanwhile, teenage boys showed no influence over how their family spends it's money. (I know it's a different country, but I couldn't find a similar study for the U.S. I did, however, find some articles that hinted at a similar dynamic in American families.) Studies on Americans' spending show that more than any other demographic, teenage girls dedicate the most time to shopping for bargains and strategic networking. When one girl finds something she likes, the knowledge quickly spreads around the country through social media networks. Advertisers are starting to find out that traditional advertising methods are not as effective on teenage girls. Despite the stereotypical idea of a teenage girl pouring over fashion magazines to figure out what's trendy, the vast majority (nearly 80% according to one study) have their purchases primarily influenced by their friends.

"No, mom. I'm not 'wasting time' on Facebook. I'm helping form an online network that is probably going to force the advertising industry to completely rethink how it sells us things."
(image: Getty images)

Teenage girls are defining our culture and redefining how we make our purchases, and I think that scares people. In order for the patriarchy to remain unchallenged, women, especially young women, cannot be in control of so much power. So instead of encouraging young women to embrace this power and use it to make the world a better place, society encourages us to attack the source of their power--the things they like. We tell girls that the things they enjoy are stupid and worthless. And, of course, the reason teenage girls like these stupid and worthless things is because teenage girls themselves are stupid and worthless.

The girls who like teenage girl things learn to hate themselves, and the girls who don't learn to hate their peers.

But go ahead. Keep mocking fashion and hating on Justin Bieber. It's not like it matters or anything, right?

As for me, I will defend even the Twilight series with my dying breath because it does matter to me.

If you're really interested in helping teenage girls, spend less time tearing them down and more time introducing them to other, maybe less problematic, things they might enjoy as well as more time teaching them how to critically analyze the media they enjoy.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, Breanna, you shed a new light on an old concept (everything teenage girls like is dumb) that holds some serious weight over our society. As a person who has made fun of Justin Bieber, TV shows like 90210, and girls who go to the mall often, there’s always a part of me that wonders why I feel the need to put these people down. Not to mention, I usually feel like a huge hypocrite because I remember when the Twilight books first came out and how hopelessly OBSESSED I was; and yes…I do own a few seasons of the infamous CW series, One Tree Hill. Either way, I suppose the main reason I never eagerly shared my interests in these “girly things” and felt like I needed to let the world know I thought other “girly, teenager stuff” (like the list you mentioned at the beginning of your blog) was dumb, is because it was hard to be taken seriously as a adolescent girl if you enjoyed these things, therefore I too, thought they must be silly and I shouldn’t like them.

    And as you pointed out…I’m not the only one who felt that way, in fact society in general, purposefully makes teenage girls feel less significant for indulging in things they like. What I never knew though, was that this is in correlation with just how powerful teenage girls actually are. I was stunned to learn that compared to teenage boys, girls have a huge impact/influence over their household purchases and finances. I think that’s awesome!! I wish I had know this when I was in high school, then I would have felt a lot more confident and wouldn’t have cared so much about what stupid things others would criticize me for. But I can see why people wouldn’t want this to get out…because they don’t want teenage girls to realize the power they posses. It’s so sad!

    I think what you say in the last bit of your blog about not tearing down what teenage girls like, but turning them onto less problematic things and teaching them to be critical of the media, is essential to the growth of society. Let’s have more YA novels and TV shows that uncover serious problems that still very much inhibit us, such as; racism, sexuality, GENDER IDENTITY ISSUES, class, etc. If we can inspire as much interest in teenage girls about these issues, then they can use all that influence and power to perhaps bring awareness to the rest of the world that these problems still need addressing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree completely with the economic ideas here. There is a reason why we see so many teenie bopper-esque interests being marketed in major stores. There is a reason Kim Kardashian (is that even how her name is spelled?) has no problem selling her clothing line. I think we get girls hooked on what I'm going to call low-class culture from an early age. We sit them down, turn on the telly, and are hard pressed to find something that isn't a reality show or some kind of media coverage.
    You also addressed something here that I have a hard time not doing. I get very confrontational about things like Twilight and Taylor Swift. Who am I kidding; you already knew that, Breanna. I think part of introducing girls to better forms of entertainment is to explain to them why what they currently enjoy is detrimental to them. I honestly think that most girls don't understand why Taylor Swift's lyrics manipulate the way they see themselves and other women.
    What's worse, most girls don't care. I think that's what scares me. That's why these discussions need to happen sooner rather than later. It's all well and good that we have the opportunity whilst in college to take classes such as this, but why not start earlier. It's in high school when a girl's psyche is most malleable, I think. Ah, but now I'm rambling. Have a lovely evening!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Breanna you did a really good job at choosing the key ideas that are universally mocked and yet liked by teenage girls. All of them really are liked majority by teenage girls and mocked to an extreme! Sometimes I even find myself teasing my little sister about her Justin Bieber infested room covered in posters and even calendars. Even my oldest sister has a crazy obsession with Twilight, which I occasionally pick on her for. But even thought I teased them for their love for high-pitched singers and cheesy vampire werewolf love triangles, I never meant to put them down, I just simply never found myself interested in those “teenage girl” things.

    I don’t exactly agree on the idea that these teenage girls interests are mocked in order to take away their power, but then again I have never really looked at this situation with that perspective. I personally believe that their criticized because of the main focus on “girly aspects” instead of the more “manly” characteristics, which seem to be more accepted by society. Such as Twilight and its “lame” focus on love and sparkling vampires. Of course men are going to make fun of shimmering vampires and love triangles, their totally jealous! Also young male singers like Justin Bieber and One Direction with their high pitch voices and long luscious hair. They receive a great deal of hatred but you’ve got to question whether its because they think these singers lack talent, or these “haters” are just jealous of the amount of attention girls give them! Its crazy, the reasons society mocks people interest and likes. Why can’t we all just like what we want to like without all the judgment? Its ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's also important to consider what are teenage girls getting out of the things that they like. Are they satisfying some need or offering a sort of conversation that isn't part of our culture otherwise? For example, Twilight might enable girls to inhabit that sort of all-consuming love, which feels good if you're ignored or ostracized in other areas of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. According to various news and magazine articles I've read, women are the main consumers in our society. Groceries, clothing, media... What to consume and how much of it is the basic question of economics. So why do we, as a society, let the young women determine the answer?

    Well I would say it is because women are moms and wives. Women are the caretakers in our society while men bring home the money. While more women are being seen in the workforce, men are still not taking those weekly trips to the grocery store. Why not? I don't know the answer, but I would guess its because they don't know how to cook, they prefer eating out, or they have their significant other to do it for them. We see more women clocking in at work now than we ever have, so why this there this disproportion?


    I'm sure it is because there are single moms who want the best for their children, but then again, I know there are single dads out there. My dad and I make the trip for groceries together ever since my mom passed away three years ago, but I am still the one who puts the most in the cart.

    When I was little, my mom picked out my clothes. She decided what I would have to eat, breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Since I've become more mature, I of course took over my own decisions. What to consume and how much of it. At the time, I didn't think what I liked was stupid, and nor do I now. Are you sure you aren't just second guessing the decisions you made and saying that others think it is stupid? Just because what you like is in pop culture doesn't mean everyone is going to like it, but what you chose to consume is ultimately up to you, so who cares what they think?

    ReplyDelete